Menu Menu

Active Duty Procedure

Students who are called to active duty must take care of several academic, financial and record matters prior to their departure from campus. The federal government and OU have numerous procedures to assist you with this transition.

Your Responsibilities
Please remember to handle the following matters: 

  • Class status – You should request a drop of all classes with the VA certifying official at 100% tuition refund OR depending on the time of the semester, meet with your professors to discuss mutually agreeable arrangements for the completion of missed assignments or the possibility of an “I” (incomplete) in the courses.
  • Housing contracts – There will be no penalty imposed for terminating the housing contract prior to the end of the term. The refund will be calculated based on the time remaining in the semester or session.
  • Books – The campus bookstore will provide 100% refund on returned books (you must submit a copy of your activation papers).
  • Financial aid/Student loans – Please contact the Office of Student Financial Services at (248) 370-2550 or in 120 North Foundation Hall for more information. Administrative forbearance and deferment benefits are available for active duty call-up, per federal government regulations.


  • A single point of contact has been established at the Registrar’s Office, the Veteran Certifying Official.
  • A copy of the Activation Papers is required from the student.
  • The Registrar’s Office is responsible for providing the student with pertinent information about potential refunds and academic impact.
  • The Registrar’s office is responsible for ensuring enrollment is adjusted, VA Certification is terminated, and for maintaining a list and count of all activated students.